PACU RN - Travel or Local
500 Harvard St. SE, University of Minnesota Medical Center Minneapolis, MN 55455
Voca Health has immediate openings available for Travel or local Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) Registered Nurse (RN) professionals in Minneapolis, MN! Interested candidates should call Kaley Fuller, direct 347-293-2560 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Voca connects Travel Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, LPNs, CNAs, and other clinical professionals with fantastic health systems nationwide. Our goal is full partnership with our travelers, providing the tools, guidance, and opportunities to help our travelers reach their individual goals. Voca provides travelers a variety of benefits including insurance, vacation, referral bonuses, and dedicated support for active travelers.
Assignment details are provided below, we’re excited to hear from you. Interested travelers (or local candidates!) will reach out to Voca at email@example.com, 507-288-5260.
- PACU RNs provide care to patients recovering from anesthesia. They monitor vital signs after surgery and stabilize the patient as they become conscious. They also help manage pain for the patients.
- There are two phases in the PACU.
- Phase I PACU is where patients are sent immediately after surgery. The average stay here is one hour. Patients are kept here until any breathing issues are remedied and vital signs are stabilized. Once pain is under control and they are mostly awake, they will be sent to another unit in the hospital to recover, or if they are an outpatient, they will go to Phase II PACU.
- Phase II PACU has patients rest in a chair, usually have a small snack and walk up and down the hallway. From here they are discharged and sent home. Some PACU RNs will also assist and prep the patient before surgery.
RN PACU Scope of Care/Service:
• Provides post-anesthesia care to patients, infant to geriatric. Serves as admitting nurse, provides post-anesthesia nursing care to patients in Phase 1, and serves as discharge nurse in Phase 2 and extended observation levels of care.
Specialty Core Competencies/Performance Expectations:
• Provides nursing care to patients in altered states of consciousness, including airway management.
• Provides post-op pain and comfort management.
• Provides post-op nausea and vomiting management.
• Provides hemodynamic monitoring and intervention.
• Administers drugs and addresses drug-related problems, especially related to anesthesia.
• Uses FCIS, PICIS, and EPIC computer systems
Specialty Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed:
• Knowledge of anesthetic agents, techniques, actions and interactions
• Ability to recognize and treat arrythmia
• Current knowledge of narcotic analgesics and cardiovascular drugs.
• Computer application abilities
• Nursing theory and practice
• Patient assessment and critical thinking skills
• Nursing Care planning skills
• Patient and Family education skills
• Physiologic and psychological responses to sedation/analgesic and anesthetic agents and techniques
• Demonstrates proficiency in PICIS system
• Knowledge of ASPAN standards of care
• Knowledge of intravenous medications including adverse rx and interventions for complications to narcotics and sedations
• Critical thinking skills
• Knowledge and skills related to technology
• Knowledge and skills related to rhythm interpretation, EKG interpretation and management of dysrhythmias
• Knowledge and skills related to managing patients with PA catheters, arterial lines, ventilators
• Knowledge and ability to use effective communication strategies
- Day/Eve Earliest start times 0500 Latest 1500
- BLS, ACLS
Partnering with Voca comes with a number of benefits including:
- Dedicated Recruiter
- Paid Vacation Program
- Paid Time Off Program
- Competitive, Flexible Pay Packages
- Generous Housing Stipends
- Housing Location Assistance
- Excellent Referral Bonuses
Voca: The Spirit of Work