OR RN - Travel or Local
500 Harvard St. SE, University of Minnesota Medical Center Minneapolis, MN 55455
Voca Health has immediate openings available for Travel or local Operating Room (OR) Registered Nurse (RN) professionals in Minneapolis, MN! If you are interested please email Kaley Fuller at email@example.com call 347-293-2560!
Voca connects Travel Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, LPNs, CNAs, and other clinical professionals with fantastic health systems nationwide. Our goal is full partnership with our travelers, providing the tools, guidance, and opportunities to help our travelers reach their individual goals. Voca provides travelers a variety of benefits including insurance, vacation, referral bonuses, and dedicated support for active travelers.
Assignment details are provided below, we’re excited to hear from you. Interested travelers (or local candidates!) will reach out to Voca at firstname.lastname@example.org, 507-288-5260.
- Duties of an OR RN are twofold. Some RNs can circulate and scrub, but some only do one or the other.
- A Scrub RN prepares the OR for the patient: sets up tools and makes sure the area is sterile for surgery. They also assist the surgical team with their masks, gowns, and gloves. They’ll often aid the physician by passing instruments. After surgery they clear away the tools and prep the patient for transport to the recovery room.
- The Circulating OR RN works the perimeter of the surgical area inspecting equipment, double checking the patient’s identity and getting proper consent forms. The Circ RN also assists the anesthesiologist with the patient and works with the surgeon regarding any special concerns or needs that could affect the patient’s care. An RNFA watches for complications and monitors the patient’s vital signs, alerting the physician to any changes. Performs CPR and controls bleeding when applicable. RNFAs also suture (stitch) wounds and apply dressings and bandages.
Demonstrates the ability to establish an environment of safety for the surgical patient
- Implements protective measures prior to operative or invasive procedure.
- Confirms identity before the operative or invasive procedure
- Verifies operative procedure, surgical site and laterality. Participates in the surgical team TIME OUT prior to the start of the procedure
- Applies safety devices
- Implements protective measures to prevent skin or tissue injury due to thermal, mechanical, electrical and chemical sources.
- Performs required counts.
- Manages specimen handling and disposition.
- Uses supplies and equipment within safe parameters.
- Records devices implanted during the operative or invasive procedure
- Maintains continuous surveillance
- Verifies allergies.
- Implements latex precautions as needed.
- Positions the patient
- Evaluates for signs and symptoms of injury as a result of positioning
- Identifies physical alterations that require additional precautions for procedure specific positioning
- Administers prescribed medications and solutions.
- Implements protective measures to prevent injury due to laser sources
- Provides for safe patient transfer
Demonstrates the ability to assess, diagnose, implement and evaluate treatments and procedures that contribute to the physiological stability of the surgical patient
- Applies principles of aseptic technique
- Establishes and maintains sterile fields
- Performs skin preparations
- Ensures perioperative environmental sanitation
- Adheres to standard and transmission based precautions
- Monitors for wound contamination
- Classifies the surgical wound
- Initiates traffic control
- Administers care to wound site
- Demonstrates knowledge of sterilization methods
- Protects from cross contamination
- Manages culture specimen collection
- Implements, monitors and evaluates thermoregulation measures
- Collaborates in fluid and electrolyte management
- Identifies and reports the presence of implantable cardiac devices.
- Serves as scrub person during operative procedures
Demonstrates knowledge about the psychologic, sociologic, and spiritual responses of patients and their families to the operative or other invasive procedure.
- Notes sensory impairments.
- Identifies barriers to communication
- Identifies psychosocial status.
- Assesses coping mechanisms
- Determines knowledge level
- Implements measures to provide psychological support
- Explains expected sequence of events
Supports patients’ rights and ethics by delivering consistent, competent, and ethical care, within legal standards of practice, while maintaining privacy and support of the patient’s value system
- Verifies consent for planned procedure
- Identifies individual values and wishes concerning care
- Develops individualized plan of care
- Ensures continuity of care
- Critical thinking skills
- Knowledge and ability to use effective communication strategies
- Knowledge and skills related to aseptic technique
- Knowledge and skills related to positioning
- Knowledge and skills related to technology
- Knowledge of AORN recommended practices
- Knowledge of relevant policies and procedures
- Knowledge of surgical procedures, instrumentation and equipment relevant to the scrub role
- Nursing theory and practice
- Patient assessment skills
Specialty education/experience requirements needed beyond minimum qualifications:
- One year recent OR RN circulating experience in a multi-specialty setting.
- We are looking for off-shift help: 8hrs-9:00-5:30, 10:30-7:00, 2:30-11:00pm 10hrs-9:00-7:30pm, 10:30am-9:00pm 12hrs-8:30-9:00pm, 10:30-11:00pm
- Current Minnesota RN License
- BSN Preferred
Partnering with Voca comes with a number of benefits including:
- Dedicated Recruiter
- Paid Vacation Program
- Paid Time Off Program
- Competitive, Flexible Pay Packages
- Generous Housing Stipends
- Housing Location Assistance
- Excellent Referral Bonuses
Voca: The Spirit of Work