Medical Laboratory Scientist
3251 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd Mark O. Hatfield Research Center 10th and 12th Floor Portland, OR 97239
Voca Health has immediate openings available for Medical Laboratory Scientist professionals in Portland, OR! If you are interested, please forward your resume to Hunter Rommes at firstname.lastname@example.org and call him at (404)585-5196. Thanks!
Voca connects healthcare professionals with fantastic health systems nationwide. Our goal is full partnership with our employees, providing the tools, guidance, and opportunities to help reach their individual goals. Voca provides benefits including insurance, 401k, and dedicated support!
Assignment details are provided below, we’re very excited to hear from you!
This position provides technical support in the Core Laboratory to complete laboratory testing for hospital and clinic patients. The incumbent will be a qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist with generalist experience or equivalent capable of performing laboratory testing and associated activities needed to support the technical services provided by the Core Lab. Testing is performed in: Transfusion Service, Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Body Fluids and limited Microbiology. Specimen processing, test performance, and result reporting is performed independently after appropriate training. Supervisor or director review of results is required in situations dictated by policy or procedures. The person filling this position will be of professional demeanor and perform their duties with behaviors which will best serve the clients of the department.
Key Responsibilities & Performance Standards
1. Performs testing in all sections of the Core Laboratory with accuracy, speed, and efficiency, using the ProView, DX, Stago, ABL, Access, Advanced and LH instrumentation. Follows written procedures and policies.
2. Prepares samples for testing. Determines acceptability of specimens and results. Repeats analysis as necessary to insure accuracy. Reports test results via computer and telephone.
3. Performs all computer functions using Beaker, HCLL and EPIC software.
4. Answers telephone requests for laboratory information.
5. Calibrates, maintains and troubleshoots laboratory instruments and procedures.
6. Trains new employees, students and residents.
7. Performs and evaluates quality control data to determine functionality of instruments and procedures.
8. Other Duties
Assists with miscellaneous technical administrative functions to support daily laboratory activities.
- Performs inventory of reagents and supplies.
- Reviews critical, summary and outstanding lists.
- Performs projects assigned by lead worker, technical coordinator or lab manager.
• Completes competency training, annual review of policy and procedure manuals, and safety review. Attends and participates in staff meetings and training sessions.
• Performs requirements for Staff Members as outlined in Compliance Roles and Responsibilities in OHSU Hospitals and Clinics and understands and complies with the Code of Conduct, OHSU and departmental policies and procedures, and other applicable procedures, rules and regulations.
• Communicates and works effectively as part of a team, and interacts with a variety of clients including doctors, nurses, laboratory staff and patients, maintaining a customer service focus at all times.
• Carries out job responsibilities ethically, professionally, and with personal integrity, and functions as part of the team exhibiting excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills.
• Attends and participates in staff meetings and training sessions.
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology which includes at least one year of clinical lab experience and certification as MT(ASCP) or MLS(ASCP) within 90 days of hire
- OR Bachelor's degree in science or biology and completion of a 2 year accredited Medical Laboratory Technician program,
plus MLT (ASCP) or equivalent certification, and 4 years of experience in a clinical laboratory;
- OR Bachelor's degree in a Chemical or Biological field, and four years experience as a Medical Laboratory.
- General knowledge of laboratory terminology, equipment, materials and techniques, regulations and safety.Skill in handling of laboratory specimens, record keeping and laboratory equipment.
- Skill in identifying cells and cell morphology.
Partnering with Voca comes with a number of benefits including:
- Dedicated Recruiter
- Competitive, Flexible Pay Packages
Voca: The Spirit of Work