ICU RN - Travel or Local
6401 France Ave S. Edina, Minnesota 55435
Voca Health has immediate openings available for Travel or local Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Registered Nurse (RN) professionals in Edina, MN! ! If you are interested please email Kaley Fuller at email@example.com or call 347-293-2560
Voca connects Travel Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, LPNs, CNAs, and other clinical professionals with fantastic health systems nationwide. Our goal is full partnership with our travelers, providing the tools, guidance, and opportunities to help our travelers reach their individual goals. Voca provides travelers a variety of benefits including insurance, vacation, referral bonuses, and dedicated support for active travelers.
Assignment details are provided below, we’re excited to hear from you. Interested travelers (or local candidates!) will reach out to Voca at firstname.lastname@example.org, 507-288-5260.
- ICU RNs use advanced skills to care for patients who are critically ill and at high risk for life-threatening health problems. ICU patients include but aren’t limited to heart attack, stroke, shock, severe trauma, or respiratory distress, multiple organ failure, sepsis, and other critical conditions. Because of the critical nature of the patients, it is standard that ICU RNs only have one or two patients on a shift. Patients are on very specialized equipment and multiple medications.
- The Intensive Care Unit is sometimes referred to as the Intensive Therapy Unit, Intensive Treatment Unit (ITU), or Critical Care Unit (CCU).
Provides critical care to patients (adolescent to geriatric)
Specialty Core Competencies/Performance Expectations:
- Provides care to critically ill adult patients with complex medical conditions which require close observation, monitoring
- and interventions.
- Uses the nursing process to provide care to critically ill patients with complex medical conditions such as: spinal surgery, congestive heart failure, acute lung injury, ARDS, sepsis and multi-system organ failure, mental health or chemical dependency illness.
- Collaborate with patient, family and healthcare team to develop and execute a plan of care that supports the physical and emotional needs of the critically ill adult patient.
- Provides effective and timely patient/family education related to treatment plan.
- Identifies and responds to subtle or rapid changes in patient status and anticipates potential events.
- Initiates timely interventions to prevent, correct, or minimize risk to the patient.
- Demonstrates ability to perform in a code situation following the ACLS guidelines.
- Performs advanced monitoring using current technology
- Safely employs (sets-up, utilizes and trouble shoots) the following monitoring devices;
- Arterial lines
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Invasive and non-invasive hemodynamic monitoring
- Critically evaluates accuracy of data collected
- Formulates nursing interventions based upon data obtained from patient monitoring
- Manages complex medication and infusion therapies
Safely administers the following medications and infusions guided by knowledge of the indications, contraindications, side effects, normal dosages and method of delivery.
- Sedatives and pain medications
- Cytotoxic agents
- Fluid and electrolyte replacement
- Blood products (FFP, Platelets, Cryo, Albumin)
Adjusts the patient’s plan of care following the evaluation of patient’s response to the medication.
Care for patient undergoing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures/interventions on the unit.
- Performs the following for the procedures listed below.
- Educates the patient and family regarding the procedure/intervention.
- Prepares the patient emotionally and physically for the procedure/intervention.
- Monitors and evaluates the patient’s response throughout the procedure/intervention.
- Assists other members of the healthcare team during the procedure/intervention.
- Provides appropriate follow-up care.
- Demonstrates ability to safely and accurately operate unit equipment.
- Access the equipment needed
- Sets-up equipment correctly
- Operates equipment according to hospital and manufacturing guidelines.
- Provides safe care to the patient while using this equipment.
- Demonstrates the ability to troubleshoots the equipment
- Identifies informational resources regarding equipment.
- Identifies malfunctioning equipment and takes appropriate action to ensure the equipment is removed from service.
- Nursing theory and practice
- Patient assessment and critical thinking skills as it relates to this patient population
- Knowledge of the nursing process
- Design and implement an effective nursing care plan as it relates to this patient population
- Knowledge of mental health and chemical dependency illness
- Knowledge of patient learning needs and adult learning principles.
- Knowledge of the physiological or psychological human response to alterations homeostatic condition.
- ACLS certification
- Ability to effectively communicate with the healthcare team.
- Uses therapeutic communication skills and follows the parameters of the therapeutic relationship.
- Knowledge of the legal aspects of care for the mental ill patient.
- Knowledge and skills related to critical care technology
- Knowledge and skills related to ECG interpretation and management of dysrhythmias
- Knowledge and skills related to managing patients with invasive monitoring lines
- Knowledge and skills related to immosuppression therapy.
- Knowledge and skills related to care of intravenous cardiac medications
- Critical thinking skills
- Knowledge of safe handling of chemotherapy.
- Knowledge and skills related to diagnostic and therapeutic procedures performed on the unit.
- Knowledge of ethics
- Knowledge of transitions in life planning
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Knowledge and skills related to equipment found on the unit.
- PER DIEM- ALL FACILITIES- ALL SHIFTS
Minimum one year current medical surgical RN experience in a Hospital setting.
- One year Emergency Department, pediatric or adult critical care experience.
- Certification by the American Association of Critical Care Nursing
- Requires ability to provide written validation of current ACLS, BLS and current Minnesota RN License, CCRN certification preferred
Partnering with Voca comes with a number of benefits including:
- Dedicated Recruiter
- Paid Vacation Program
- Paid Time Off Program
- Competitive, Flexible Pay Packages
- Generous Housing Stipends
- Housing Location Assistance
- Excellent Referral Bonuses
Voca: The Spirit of Work