450 E Romie LN Salinas, California 93901
Works with minimal supervision under Mammography Supervisor and Manager. Performs breast ultrasound. Assists Radiologist with fine needle aspiration, cyst aspiration, ultrasound biopsy, and needle localization, in accordance with ACR, MQSA, The Joint Commission, and departmental policies. Able to perform and/or assist with Quality Assurance activities related to breast ultrasound. Performs any combination of the primary duties depending on area of assignment.
I. Performs thorough and complete ultrasounds on a daily basis under facility approved policies and procedures and in accordance with ACR and MQSA.
2. Assists Radiologist with needle localization, ultrasound biopsy, fine needle aspiration, and cyst aspiration in accordance with ACR, MQSA and departmental policies, and when training and approved demonstration of correct competencies are complete.
3. Assists patients in moving on and off the exam table. Assures that patients are properly dressed and prepped for procedures.
4. Cares for patients during procedures by assisting them to rest rooms, giving them blankets, etc.
5. Obtains or reviews patient's medical history and physician orders prior to performing studies and notifies appropriate staff of inconsistencies. Explains procedures to patient and completes comprehensive documentation.
6. Produces quality exams that include accurate and supportive documentation.
7. Communicates with the Radiologists on all ultrasound exams that require review.
8. Prepares completed breast ultrasound and/or other studies for interpretation in a timely mam1er (takes exam to close status) including appropriately identified images and all associated forms.
9. Able to perform and/or assist with Quality Assurance activities related to breast ultrasound.
10. Reports changes in patient's condition to Lead Technologist and/or Radiologist for follow-up. Assists with emergency medical treatment under physician direction.
11 . Assists with scheduling of patient exams.
12. Attends regularly scheduled department meetings and in-services.
13. Works closely with Lead Mammography Teclmologist to meet MQSA standards.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Completes requested breast ultrasound and related procedures/examinations with a high level of technical quality. Including but not limited to the following:
Patient identit!cation (check patient wristband), name and medical record number, and proper film J.D., i.e.,
patient name, proper side markers, etc. Proper patient positioning
Proper exposure technique
Obtains medical history, explains procedures and completes necessary documentation. Including but not limited to the following:
Patient registration and consents
Q.A. and Verify (to include proper modifiers.)
Demonstrates job knowledge through department competencies for each area of responsibility.
Assumes responsibility for own actions, including follow-up and completion of tasks in an effective and timely manner.
Fulfills departmental and Hospital responsibilities including: attending staff meetings as appropriate, reading all meeting minutes and posted communications, participating in departmental performance improvement activities, attending all Hospital and department-specific required inservices, and maintaining an active role in problem solving and resolution.
Demonstrates motivation and ambition on the job, adapts to and supports change, independently seeks unassigned work without impacting quality, is flexible, thinks along original lines, questions old methods and offers suggestions for improvement of procedures.
Prioritizes work effectively, utilizes logic and makes sound decisions in choosing a particular course of action. Is able to identify problems based on factual information and knows when to refer issues to a superior.
Able to complete a typical day's assigned workload within the scheduled shift. Able to take on additional procedures during periods of heavy work.
Uses free time between procedures to maintain a safe work environment, ensure adequate levels of supplies, assist with files and reports, when necessary, and maintain QA for equipment.
Assumes responsibility for attendance and punctuality in order to promote the efficient operation of the department/Hospital and essential components of solid employee performance. Poor attendance and tardiness disrupt productivity and make it difficult to function effectively. Each employee shall be responsible for being present at the correct time each day. (See Attendance APM for further details.)
Follows safe work practices, takes an active interest in preventing injury or illness and promoting a safe and healthful environment for self and others, and complies with Hospital and governmental safety regulations concerning, but not limited to, the following:
I. Safety Manual
2. Universal Precautions/Infection Control Plan
3. Fire Safety Plan (Code Red)
4, Emergency Preparedness Plan
5. Patient and Employee Instrument and Equipment Guidelines
6. Hazard Communication Progran1 (MSDS sheets, etc.)
7. Employee Injury & Illness Prevention Program (including proper body mechanics)
8. Security Programs Facility Access Plm1
Infant Security Plan
Parking and Traffic Regulations
9. Back Injury Prevention Program
10. Medical Emergency Plan (Code Blue)
11. General Safety Rules and Regulations
12. Employee Injury/Exposure Reporting
Maintains current RDMS and/or RDMS (BR) status. Completes 36 CEUs in 36 month cycle.
1. Education: Completion of an ultrasow1d training program with ARDMS ce1iification or registry eligible.
2. Licensure: Current RDMS (BR) registry required. Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider status
as per American Heart Association standards required. New hires or transfers have 6 month from job date
to obtain RDMS (BR) certification.
3. Experience: At least one year of experience as a breast sonographer is required.
4. Essential Technical/Motor Skills: Knowledge of ultrasound equipment. Requires the use of fine motor
skills and precise hand/eye coordination.
5. Interpersonal Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with patients, public and co-workers. Work requires ability to communicate effectively about complex matters with others who have varying levels of i comprehension and knowledge (written and oral).
6. Essential Physical Requirements: See attached "Physical Requirements Sheet"
7. Essential Mental Abilities: Requires analytical abilities to determine priorities and judge information.
Ability to handle effectively with the stress of multiple priorities and patient anxieties. .
8. Essential Sensory Requirements: Must be able to hear, see, verbally communicate, and have tactile sense.
9. Performance Improvement: Assumes active role in the department's Continuous Performance
Improvement Program. Develops, implements and assesses Continuous Performance Improvement efforts
as assigned. Assist with MQSA as requested or required.