Travel Sleep Technician
450 E Romie LN Salinas, California 93901
3 -12 hour nights (1900-0730)
Works under the supervision of the Sr. Administrative Director/ Cardiopulmonary Services or designee, Supervisor and upon the orders of a physician. Performs technically high quality PSG testing as outlined in the National Sleep Standards of the American Sleep Disorders Association (ASDA). Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
I. Performs non-invasive polysomnography using 16 or more channels.
2. Correctly and accurately places PSG monitors (EMG, EKG, EEG, Oximeter, nasal and oral thermistors, leg leads, upper airway sensor, respiratory belts, and other monitors needed).
3. Charts all patient events, behaviors, and information.
4. Sets up CPAP/BIPAP/ASV/AVAP and administers oxygen therapy as necessary.
5. Uses Hospital Meditech computer system.
6. Performs preventative maintenance, calibration, minor repairs, cleaning, and disinfecting equipment.
7. Performs related duties, such as, stocking supplies, clerical duties, satisfying telephone and other staff duties.
8. Assists in training of other Sleep Disorder Technician's/Technologist's.
9. Assists in evaluating new equipment for the lab.
10. Performs technologist sleep scoring of PSG.
11. Stays current on sleep literature and new technologies.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALITY OF WORK QUALITY:
Performs tests as outlined in the National Sleep Standards of the American Sleep Disorders Association (ASDA), and departmental policies and procedures. Completes all office and technical work accurately and in a timely manner with legible hm1dwriting on all correspondences. All patient interactions will be in a professional and courteous manner.
Demonstrates competency m using specialized polysomongraphy equipment. Demonstrates ability to use
Assumes responsibility for own actions, including follow-up and completion of tasks in an effective and timely
Fulfills departmental and Hospital responsibilities including: attending staff meetings as appropriate, reading all meeting minutes and posted communications, participating in departmental performance improvement activities, attending all Hospital and department-specific required in-services, and maintaining an active role in problem solving and resolution.
PERFORMANCE CRITERIA: PRODUCTIVITY/USE OF TIME
Demonstrates motivation and ambition on the job, adapts to and supports change, independently seeks unassigned work without impacting quality, is flexible, thinks along original lines, questions old methods and offers
suggestions for improvement of procedures.
Prioritizes work effectively, utilizes logic and makes sound decisions in choosing a particular course of action.
Is able to identify problems based on factual information and knows when to refer issues to a superior.
Demonstrates ability to complete all assigned duties within designated shift, to include patient procedures and associated documentation. Records three (3) patients a night.
Assumes responsibility for attendance and punctuality in order to promote the efficient operation of the Hospital and essential components of solid employee performm1ce. Poor attendance and tardiness disrupt productivity and
make it difficult to function effectively. Each employee shall be responsible for being present at the correct time each day. (See Attendance APM for further details.)
II PERFORMANCE CRITERIA: INTERPERSONAL RELATIONS/ TEAMWORK WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Demonstrates a willingness to be cooperative and assist others whenever possible, utilizes positive interpersonal skills, is courteous and behaves in a professional manner at all times.
Utilizes fundamental tools essential for effective communication (verbal, non-verbal and written) and interaction
Listening: Utilizes methods which enable a person to clearly understand what another person is saying. Methods include ways of responding so that each person feels their problems and feelings have been understood.
Assertiveness: Utilizes verbal and non-verbal behaviors which maintain respect, satisfy needs, and defend rights without dominating, manipulating, abusing or controlling others.
Conflict Resolution: Utilizes methods which enable dealing with the emotional turbulence that typically
Collaborative Problem Solving: Utilizes methods to resolve conflicting needs and lead to a satisfying
II PERFORMANCE CRITERIA: PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY
Follows safe work practices, takes an active interest in preventing injury or illness and promoting a safe and healthful environment for self and others, and complies with Hospital and governmental safety regulations concerning, but not limited to, the following:
l. Safety Manual
2. Universal Precautions/Infection Control Plan
3. Fire Safety Plan (Code Red)
4. Emergency Preparedness Plan
5. Patient and Employee Instrument and Equipment Guidelines
6. Hazard Communication Program (MSDS sheets, etc.)
7. Employee Injury & Illness Prevention Program (including proper body mechanics)
8. Security Programs Facility Access Plan Infant Security Plan
Parking and Traffic Regulations
9. Back Injury Prevention Program
10. Medical Emergency Plan (Code Blue) II. General Safety Rules and Regulations
12. Employee Injury/Exposure Reporting
Assumes responsibility for own professional growth in order to remain current with required job knowledge. Stays attune with developments in the field by reading current professional periodicals and by attending in-services/conferences. Shows continued interest in acquisition of higher credentialing that upholds the
Promotes the Hospital's mission to deliver healthcare with a spirit of caring for the community at large in keeping
with the theme of "Neighbors Who Care".
Assumes personal responsibility to comply with all Federal, State and local laws governing business conduct; conducts business in an ethical and trustworthy manner; and displays the qualities and characteristics of a professional at all times when dealing with patients, visitors, physicians, volunteers and fellow employees.
POPULATION- SPECIFIC CARE:
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the populations served. This
includes demonstrating knowledge of the principles of caring for the following, but not limited to, geriatric,
pediatric, developmentally-challenged, special needs and physically-challenged, and various diagnoses, interventions, procedures and operations performed for patients served.
1. Education: Successful completion of an accredited associate degree program with an emphasis
in polysomnography and/or a graduate of a nationally accredited polysomnography program preferred.
2. Licensure: Registered as a Polysomnographic Tecchnologist (RPSGT) via the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (BRPT) required. Current California state licensure in Polysomnography or Respiratory Care required. Current BLS/Healthcare Provider status as per American Heart Association standards required.
3. Experience: One (1) year experience in Sleep Medicine Center or EEG preferred.
4. Essential Technical/Motor Skills: Good finger dexterity works well small electrodes and accessories, and
computerized highly technical equipment.
5. Interpersonal Skills: Ability to communicate with patients, family, physicians, nursing staff and co-workers.
6. Essential Physical Requirements: See attached "Physical Requirements Sheet"
7. Essential Mental Abilities: PSG and EEG knowledge, equipment mechanics, and computers.
8. Essential Sensory Requirements: Must be able to hear, see, verbally communicate, and have tactile sense.
9. Performance Improvement: Assumes active role in the department's Continuous Performance Improvement Program. Develops, implements and assesses Continuous Performance Improvement efforts as assigned.