Patient Access Specialist
3303 SW Bond Ave, Portland, OR 97239
Voca has an immediate opening available for a Patient Access Specialist in Portland, OR.
- The Patient Access Specialist gathers and records required information about patients, provides customer services which includes confirming health insurance coverage, determining individual financial obligations, verifying that necessary authorizations for care have been obtained, scheduling physician office appointments, cancer treatment appointments, and ancillary appointments, and assisting patients in an office or practice setting.
- S/he supports the practice by providing superior customer service through prompt and professional communication on the phone and face-to-face, and excellent problem solving skills and functioning as a team member to other staff.
- The PAS is responsible for checking patients in and out; confirming health insurance coverage and individuals obligations, collecting co-pays; as well as answering phones, opening and closing clinic; all while providing high quality customer service in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Front office / scheduling Functions/Duties
- a. The Patient Access Service Specialist gathers and records required information about patients; provides specific customer services which includes scheduling physician office, cancer treatment appointments, and ancillary appointments, and assisting patients in an office or practice setting.
b. S/he supports the Practice and its faculty by providing excellent customer service through prompt and professional communication on the phone and in face-to-face customer contact, problem solving, and functioning as team member to other staff..
c. The PAS is responsible for checking patients in and out; confirming health insurance coverage and individuals obligations, collecting co-pays; arranging labs; scheduling new and follow-up patient appointments, answering phones, opening and closing clinic; provide high quality customer service in a busy, fast-paced environment. Receives and returns phone messages. Handles correspondence, orders hospital records and x-rays. Mails information packets.
d. Is responsible for verifying that authorization has been obtained and as need verifying patient eligibility and securing referral/authorization prior to the outpatient appointment or inpatient admission. The authorization process includes, but is not limited to, putting referral information on-line, obtaining authorization to provide care from the insurance company, identifying how much of the patient’s deductible has been met, determining how much of an education benefit has been exhausted, tracking the number of visits used per authorized, following up on referrals for return appointments, and other miscellaneous tasks.
e. Greets patients over the phone. This includes, but is not limited to careful review of insurance benefits, demographic information, confirming insurance eligibility, and /or authorization. Checks patient account numbers and corrects any problems, seeking advice from Central Registration as required. Ensures that all appointment comment information is accurate and completed. Identifies and updates deductible payments, co-payments, and prepayment requirements..
Voca: The Spirit of Work