Pathologist s Assistant
Jacksonville, Florida 32224
- Provides gross dissection of surgical specimens and documents gross findings under the direction of pathologists.
- Performs specimen photography, selects tissue for appropriate ancillary testing, and procures tissue for research protocols.
- Performs postmortem examinations and autopsy related duties including abstracting clinical history, completing clinical summary and preliminary anatomic diagnosis, and previewing autopsy microscopy. Assists with training of histotechnicians as appropriate.
- Assists pathologists with projects as deemed appropriate.
- Exempt position.
- Function independently and collaboratively with the laboratory leadership in performing supervision of laboratory staff - hiring and termination, performance review, coaching and corrective action and development of performance Improvement plans for the Pathology and Cytology Staff.
- Site responsibility may include technical oversight of work responsibilities of professional laboratory practice.
- Acts as a resource for problem resolution and interpretation of results.
- Participate in laboratory quality assurance programs and performance improvement activities.
- Assist with staff and student training, orientation of new employees, reviewing and updating procedures and providing direction and problem solving skills for laboratory functions.
- Implement standardization efforts in the laboratory.
Specific Job Details:
- 7:30AM -4PM; 8:30AM-5PM; 9:30AM-6PM Hours cover shifts as needed
- ASCP Board certification current License
- Graduate of approved Pathologist Assistant school or equivalent.
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Computer skills are necessary
- Must be highly organized, efficient, detail oriented and capable of multi-tasking with the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, medical practices, and human anatomy is required.
- Ability to interact professionally with medical staff with respect to providing assistance and information related to surgical pathology tissue dissection and gross examination.
- Master’s Degree in a NAACLS accredited PA program and PA (ASCP) certification