10503 West Dr Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Voca has an immediate opening available for a Medical Coder in Fairfax, VA!
Job Description:• Code discharge charts the day after discharge and finalize the abstracts to allow the bill to drop. A minimum of 15 coded charts per four hour session.
• Follow up work with doctors or nurse practitioners for completion of discharge orders or for completion of queries.
• Correctly route newly assembled patient charts to physicians for signature or dictation.
• Assemble patient charts and audit and flag for deficiencies at a minimum of 9-10 charts per four hour session.
• Maintain an accurate on-line discharge log of all charts being routed to doctors for completion.
• Re-file patient charts onto proper location on wall.
• Pull onsite charts or order charts from off-site location for re-admits and send to the proper unit.
• Provide guidance to physicians/licensed practitioners and facility personnel in completion of medical records, ensuring compliance with all laws, rules and regulations of federal and state agencies and within the Joint Commission standards for the quality of patient care.
• Maintain confidentiality of patient records and facility employees.
• Answer inquiries from internal and external contacts regarding information recorded in the patient’s medical records, within all departmental policies and guidelines.
• Notify the manager regarding any potential problems with record updates, maintenance and/or breaches of confidentiality.
• Perform other medical record support activities as needed and directed, including chart assembly, filing, maintaining patient log, downloading transcripts, release of information and other functions as needed.
• Demonstrate guest relations in communicating, cooperation and assistance to patients, physicians, co-workers, visitors and hospital staff.
• Adhere to facility, department, corporate, personnel and standard policies and procedures.
• Attend all mandatory facility inservices and staff development activities as scheduled.
• Adhere to facility standards concerning conduct, dress, attendance and punctuality.
• Support facility-wide quality/performance improvement goals and objectives.
• Other duties or special projects are to be completed within the specified time period established by the Health Information/Medical Records Manager.
Experience: At least two year's experience in a medical office/behavioral health care setting as coder; knowledge of medical terminology required; at least one (1) year experience with computer systems, especially Microsoft Word and Excel required.
Additional Requirements: Minimum typing speed of 45 wpm minimum preferred. Good organizational skills; ability to work proactively with medical director and medical staff; may be required to work occasional overtime and flexible hours.
Voca: The Spirit of Work