Sterile Processing Tech/Central Sterile Tech
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Post Date: 07/21/2017 2017-07-21 Job ID: 9451 Category: Health
- Cleans and disinfects endoscopes and accessories per endoscopy cleaning policy and procedure. Sends equipment for sterilization when needed. Assists with cultures on contaminated endoscopes as designated per Infection Control policy.
- Cleans and disinfects endoscopy suites after each use and prepares for the next procedure by selecting and placing the proper endoscope and its accessories in that suite with minimal turnaround time. Completes pre-procedures operational check of each endoscope before each use.
- Recognizes malfunctioning equipment and performs minor equipment repairs (trouble shoots) on endoscopes and accessories or notifies Biomedical technician (by filling out a MDFR sheet and bringing to Biomed) when further repair is needed. Packs scopes for shipping as needed, transports scope to mailroom with proper paperwork.
- Cleans and maintains organized mobile procedure carts. Also sets up mobile carts for off-unit procedures with the proper scopes and equipment.
- Assists in maintaining appropriate inventory of storeroom and anesthesia supplies for the endoscopy unit.
- Understands and carries out hazard and safety precautions as outlined in Education Day and Endoscopy infection control in-services. Knowledge of infection control principles, ergonomics, risk management and emergency preparedness.
- Responsibility for assisting in diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as EBUS, GI bleeds, food bolus, foreign body removal. Assist physician with balloon dilation, inflating and deflating balloon, assist with Savory and Malory dilation, handing the appropriate size to physician as requested, and assists with hemostatic clipping, injecting. Appropriately positions patient for procedures, as well as applying abdominal pressure as needed.
- Coordinates procedure room changes with the charge nurse and Lead on a daily basis as those changes occur.
- Does a pre-procedure operational check of each endoscope before its use and performs air leak checks after each endoscope use, and ensures procedure is set up according to physician preference
- Maintains a working knowledge of supplies and equipment on hand in the department.
- Checks potency of scope disinfectant in the automatic scope reprocessor. Maintains appropriate logs for scopes and reprocessors.
- Assumes responsibility to continue personal improvement in knowledge and competency.
- Contributes to building a positive environment through display of positive behaviors and use of first party communication. Offers and accepts constructive criticism, participates in department meetings.
- Functions as a member of a multi-disciplinary care team, assists with other duties as requested, including, but not limited to scope technician duties.
- Collects specimens according to policy as directed by physician with the collaboration of the RN. Along with RN maintains full control of the specimen at all times.
- Completes all day-to-day logs/checklists thoroughly and completely.
- Assists as witness to waste narcotics with an RN.
- Transports patients to procedure rooms. Prepares patients for procedure i.e. oxygen tubing, BP cuff, SPO2 monitor on, and enters patients into endo procedure computers.