Principal Technical Writer
New York, New York
Post Date: 09/12/2017 2017-09-12 Job ID: 10038 Category: Professional
- Working closely with the software development, infrastructure, operations and product /project management teams; writes and edits technical specifications, end user documentation and other documentation as required for various technology projects and platforms.
- Leads the team that researches, writes, edits, illustrates and publishes end-user documentation for both existing systems and new systems according to our Client’ s OMX standards, formats and methodologies, ensuring industry trends are incorporated
- Leads others in how to gather information needed to create end-user documentation, how to organize it in a logical and pedagogic fashion, and ensure its accuracy, completeness and consistency.
- Reviews and approves technical writing of others, ensuring application/incorporation of current industry trends and best practices
- Ensures that contractual requirements for our customer documentation are met, carried out and exceeded.
- Creates standard templates, style guides and other guidelines which are used globally.
- Leads and interacts with key customer parties (as needed) to gather all information necessary to create the end-user documentation; provides more oversight in highly complex, non-routine situations
- Drives the development and improvement of the end-user documentation working process.
- Leads and directs end-user documentation in a customer project.
- Oversees and provides strategic input to the creation of document specifications, budgets and time estimates during customer bids.
- Masters’ Degree in English, Technical Writing or related discipline, or equivalent work experience in Technical Writing.
- 12+ years Certifications: Specialist qualifications in various disciplines relating to Technical Writer responsibilities.
- Core Skills & Requirement: Functional knowledge: Regarded as the technical expert in their particular field. Senior leaders within our Client’ sOMX seek them out for development and new product development.
- As the senior expert, acts as the escalation point for both internal and external people as it relates to technical expertise.
- Business expertise: Anticipates business and regulatory issues; recommends product, process or service improvements. Is visionary from a new solutions/products perspective, considering what is possible.
- Is involved in functional strategy formulation; can over-ride functional directives when required.
- Challenges the status quo through openness without judgment.
- Leadership: Leads projects with notable risk and complexity; develops the strategy for project execution.
- Proactively thinks ahead, planning for future business needs, and personal competency needs to reach goals.
- Problem solving: Leads others to solve complex problems. Often will facilitate global working group for issue resolution. Solves unique and complex problems with broad impact on the business; requires conceptual and innovative thinking to develop solutions. By words and actions is able to create, manage and inspire change across the organization.
- Impact: Impacts the direction and resource allocation for program, project or services; works within general functional policies and industry guidelines. Is involved in senior leadership decisions, being the expert reference on an issue.
- Interpersonal skills: Communicates complex ideas, anticipates potential objections and persuades others, often at senior levels, to adopt a different point of view based on sound reasons. Acts as a role model when it comes to sharing knowledge and expertise across organizational boundaries. Shows initiative to deliver better results than expected and often offers his/her help to others in order to achieve shared goals. Technical Skills & Requirements: Analytical Thinking: Leverages methods and approaches for data collection from other internal/external sources and best practices to address complex problems, situations or issues. Works with large amounts of data and identifies highly complex root causes and potential implications; coaches others on data synthesis and analysis. Approaches situations from a holistic perspective and considers interdependencies and the impact of actions; synthesizes results and links patterns and trends.
- Business Acumen: Utilizes knowledge of the organizations business model and operations to drive high impact projects and complex analyses that support the organizations mission. Leverages deep understanding of the policies, practices, trends and information that impact the organization and its customers to plan for future projects. Utilizes knowledge of the business and financial impact of decisions/solutions to drive high-impact projects that support the organization and contribute to financial performance.
- Translating Techno-speak: Demonstrates flexibility to think and respond immediately, adapting communication style as necessary; shifts between high-level context and detailed technical descriptions. Ensures accuracy and timeliness of technical writing team; communicates with senior internal and external stakeholders in a compelling and credible manner to achieve objectives. Develops and maintains relationships with customers to assess and respond to their total requirements.
- Technical Writing: Leads technical writing teams by providing oversight and guidance; conveys appropriate meaning and appeals to the specific needs and level of the audience through adjusting style and content.
- Interpersonal Skills: Coaches team members on asking probing questions and restating information to ensure complete understanding so that goals are achieved collaboratively. Works collaboratively with team and stakeholders to integrate individual perspectives; provides encouragement and acknowledgement of others contributions and inputs. Is well regarded for openness and capabilities in bringing divergent views together and coaches team members on social skills.