- The laboratory assistant is responsible for biological (e.g. blood and urine) specimen receipt, verification, handling and processing.
- The laboratory assistant is also responsible for facilitating the workflow by performing a variety of clerical, processing, and housekeeping duties that include inventory, filing, stocking, receiving shipments, cleaning, and rotating and maintaining inventory.
- Some lifting is required.
- The position requires a mature individual who is able to maintain confidentiality of all results and patient information and exercising proper precaution to avoid potential exposure to infectious/hazardous material.
- May be required to clean specimen spills when necessary.
Specific Job Details:
- Processing samples, shipping and handling of samples, responsible for the integrity of the specimen and processing the specimen from the hospital and sending it off to our Client.
- Also responsible for administrative duties, such as answering phone calls to the lab.
- They will essentially be the only representation of our Client onsite - manager will fly in from time to time and for training.
- Potential to convert perm after 1 year on contract.
- Shift: M-F, 12:00pm-8:30pm
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Previous experience or knowledge of computers, telephone operations and other office equipment desired.
- Requires a high degree of accuracy when reading specimen labels and working with numbers to prevent mislabeling.
- Must be able to accommodate scheduling adjustments, off-shifts, holiday, and weekend work assignments.
- Must have the ability to pay particular attention to detail. Must have demonstrated problem-solving ability.
- Must be highly organized, able to work under pressure, and handle multiple priorities.
- Must have strong oral communication and human relation skills.
- Time management skills, the ability to work as a contributing team member, and proven computer skills are essential.
- Must be able to work additional hours as directed or needed.
- Must be adaptable and flexible in a changing environment.
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude toward work.
- Knowledge of laboratory functions, medical terminology, a background in science and 1-2 years medical experience is preferred, but not required.