Rochester, Minnesota 55901
Position Overview (Major Functions and Non-Essential Functions):
The laboratory assistant is responsible for biological (e.g. blood, urine) specimen receipt, identification verification, processing and storage. The laboratory assistant is also responsible for performing a variety of clerical, processing, and other laboratory duties that include maintaining supply inventory, filing, stocking, receiving shipments, and cleaning. . The laboratory assistant works with various computer information systems on a daily basis.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Required (Minimum Job Requirements, Education Requirements, Experience):
A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Additional Experience and/or Qualifications (Has Achieved Competency in the Following Areas, Job Knowledge and Additional Considerations):
- Knowledge of laboratory functions, medical terminology, a background in science and 1-2 years medical experience is preferred, but not required.
- Previous experience or knowledge of computers and keyboarding, telephone operations and other office equipment desired.
- Ability to accurately read specimen labels and work with numbers to prevent mislabeling.
- Must be organized, able to prioritize and work in a fast paced environment.
- Must possess good human relations skills and be able to communicate effectively both orally and in written form.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must be able to accommodate scheduling adjustments, off-shifts, holiday, and weekend work assignments.
- Requires the ability to be attentive to details and to adhere to strict safety requirements for handling infectious agents.