Help Desk Specialist
The Help Desk Specialist is the initial support contact for problems or other reported issues regarding computers and related technologies from internal staff. The Help Desk Specialist is expected to troubleshoot, resolve or escalate those problems or incidents correctly, and document all of the foregoing. Must-have qualifications are: strong verbal and written Communication skills, project management and problem solving skills, and basic IT knowledge of hardware and software systems.
Specific Job Details:
- This position is 100% phone support and is located on-site in Rochester, MN.
- Work schedule of this position is Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm (slightly negotiable).
- The role of the Help Desk Specialist position is to act as the initial support contact for problems or other reported issues regarding computers and related technologies from internal staff.
- The Help Desk Specialist is expected to troubleshoot, resolve or escalate those problems or incidents correctly, and document all of the foregoing.
- The Help Desk Specialist will use of a variety of resources including co-workers, support teams, knowledgebase, etc. to resolve customers’ technical issues.
- Of critical importance is for the Help Desk Specialist to provide excellent interpersonal communication skills to support the delivery of outstanding customer service in a team-based environment.
- The Help Desk Specialist will explain basic concepts or procedures in a clear, concise, easy-to-understand manner for a large and diverse customer base who utilize a wide variety of in-house developed and off-the-shelf applications.
- Being able to quickly learn support skills for new applications is also very important for the Help Desk Specialist to be successful in this position.
- Effective time management and project management skills are expected.
- Scope of support may be limited to a specific subset of calls.
- The Help Desk Specialist must maintain a positive and supportive attitude while working in a fast-paced and continuously-changing environment.
- Ideal candidate will have an upbeat personality as well as a proven balance of outstanding customer service/focus and strong technical expertise to be able to provide an exceptional customer experience.
- Previous call center/phone support experience in a technical/customer support role preferred.
- Understanding of and has demonstrated the ability to use call tracking software and related tools for documentation of call center operations.
- Understanding of and has displayed the ability to use knowledge base and other online solution resources.
- Ability to work well independently as well as with others in a team-based environment.
- Knowledge, training or certification in the following is helpful: HDI, itSMF, ITSM, ITIL.
- Knowledge or experience in remote access, multi-factor authentication (RSA) and/or mobile device management (AIRWATCH) and Windows 10 is also helpful.
- H.S. Diploma / GED and 4+ years of experience in an IT or call center environment and 2 years of experience in a customer service position;
- OR Associate's degree with 2 years of experience in an IT or call center environment or a Bachelor’s degree.
- Typing skills 25+ words per minute.
- Able to spend considerable time on the phone.
- Excellent technical troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Possess skilled abilities to customize an operating system.
- Ability to install/configure “off the shelf” applications.
- Understanding of computer-related terminology (CPU, Internet, Networking, Client/Server, LAN/WAN, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to configure a PC for connection to a network using a common networking protocol.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare new/used PC equipment for, and perform, a fresh (scratch) install of an operating system (manually, not from an image).