Clinical Lab Assistant
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102
- Maintains knowledge of, and complies with, all relevant laws, regulations, policies, procedures and standards.
- Actively participates in creating and implementing improvements.
- Performs routine and complex tests per department policy and procedure, ensuring accurate and reliable laboratory results.
- Communicates difficult or unusual requests, results, or test follow-up that is necessary to ensure timely completion of the procedure.
- Notifies appropriate caregiver of significant or critical value test results per department policy.
- Performs computer and clerical functions to ensure accurate test ordering and reporting of patient results.
- Performs and documents maintenance and troubleshooting procedures on laboratory instrumentation to ensure proper operation.
- Makes appropriate decisions based on the quality control results, in regard to patient testing.
- Takes corrective action, if needed.
- Performs specimen collection to ensure the accurate and appropriate performance of patient testing while maintaining patient dignity, comfort and confidentiality.
- Communicates errors to immediate supervisor or designee and completes appropriate section on Quality Event forms when errors are found. Knowledge: Comprehensive knowledge of routine and complex laboratory procedures, techniques, and instruments.
- Reports To: SECTION SUPERVISOR LAB-339
- Achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task.
- Ability to use a computer and applications that are associated with performing basic work tasks (navigate in Windows, Outlook, etc). Inspection: Critical appraisal skills including examination, measurement, and testing of quality and condition of equipment, materials, or services.
- Skilled in developing effective rapport with customers, co-workers, or families, actively listening to develop a positive connection.
- Demonstrates practices that support safety with recognition of variations in populations served, preventing harm to patients, families, employees, and themselves.
- Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; utilizes appropriate tools and staff resources along with sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the standards, scope of practice, ethics, and characteristics of a licensed professional.
- Bachelor's Degree Bachelor's degree required in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology, Medical Laboratory Scientist or Physical Sciences degree.
- Description: Certified Med Laboratory Scientist (MLS) Qualification Source: American Society for Clinical Pathology Description: Certified Med Tech (MT) Qualification Source: American Society for Clinical Pathology Credential Comments: *Either Certified Medical Lab Technician (MLT) or Medical Lab Scientist (MLS) required.
- Either Certified Medical Lab Technician (MLT) or Medical Lab Scientist (MLS) required