C&E Network Engineer
- Design and develop complex data network plans for enterprise network upgrades and expansions.
- Design and implementation of complex data systems, network configurations and network architecture, including hardware and software technology, site locations, business continuity, disaster recovery, and integration of technologies.
- Provide network engineering expert resources in the disciplines of core routing, core switching, network security, network diagnostics and application load balancing.
- Assess and resolve the most complex data network problems and incidents.
- Review analyses and technical feasibility to develop data network deployment strategies.
- Assess and review data network growth forecasts to ensure that business needs are translated into network capacity requirements.
- Lead and support efforts to resolve data network problems and incidents through root cause analysis and study of potential network deficits.
- Performs additional responsibilities as requested or assigned.
- Internal - Information technology staff and application end users.
- External - Contractors, vendors, utilities and regulatory agencies.
- Performance Expectations (Key Success Factors): Demonstration of technical knowledge and a growing knowledge of the company’s information systems and infrastructure design.
- Must possess advanced enterprise networking fundamentals, including complex switching and routing knowledge, high availability system designs skills, advanced network security design skills, Internet services and protocols knowledge, advanced network diagnostics capabilities.
- Provide accurate input into the budget process and contribute to meeting the actual targets.
- Compliance with industry and corporate technology standards - interpret industry regulatory standards, develop technical policies and procedures, and administer systems with zero tolerance for error.
- Emphasis on identification and fulfillment of customer requirements. Participation on teams that results in contribution to achievement of team goals and objectives. Perform responsibilities as directed within determined time frames and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships within the department and the company.
- Maintain the professional competence, knowledge and skills necessary for the satisfactory completion of responsibilities; enhance job knowledge and abilities by taking personal responsibility for professional development and training.
- Maintain sensitive and confidential information regarding company information.
- Attend work on a regular basis and support the company’s employee policies and procedures, including workplace safety rules.
- Ensure all compliance aspects of position are known and followed; understand and comply with all policies, codes and regulations applicable to position and company.
- Be on-call 24/7 to provide on-site or remote support at any time when called upon. Liaise and coordinate with multi-platform business and technical colleagues on various project implementations.
- Bachelor degree in information systems, computer science or related technical field or equivalent work experience.
- (Typically five years of additional related, progressive work experience would be needed for candidates applying for this position who do not possess a bachelor degree.
- A minimum of ten years additional directly related technical experience is required.)
- Five years of experience with data networking or general telecommunications experience.
- Technical skills including programming, installation, configuration, and data base management.
- Expert level analysis and design skills involving the ability to gather data on systems issues, define alternative approaches, assess business impact, recommend cost effective solutions, and develop and implement those solutions.
- Demonstrate advanced skills and knowledge in these disciplines:
- Core routing - routing protocols and route redistribution using OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and RIP, network technologies including MPLS, VRFs, DMVPN, WAN MACSec, IPSec, QoS and NAT.
- Core switching - advanced data center switching using 10Gig, EtherChannel, FCoE, virtual port channels, virtual device contexts and power redundancy.
- Network security – Industrial control system DMZ design support including advanced firewall experience and experience with tier one service provider networks, Cisco ASA, CheckPoint, Palo Alto or ForcePoint firewall experience, network ACLs and network level authentication based on user and machine certificates, Cisco Identity Service Engine experience, TACACS and Radius.
- Network diagnostics - expert protocol/packet analyzer Sniffer/SNORT experience, expert Netflow, performance analysis experience and network log analyses.
- Application load balancing - expert application load balancing experience for performance optimization and highly available environments.
- reverse proxy and proxy cache experience, design and support remote access systems, advanced knowledge of utility energy management and plant control network desirable, advanced Cisco certification (CCDP or CCDE) or demonstrate equivalent knowledge.
- Advanced knowledge of current technologies, tools, applications, and vendors.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently.